Saturday, May 9, 2009

Ethel

I started a sourdough starter about 2 weeks ago(April 20th). Every sourdough starter is a reflection of the area it resides. Sourdough starter is just a collection of wild yeast feasting on sugars. This wild yeast just comes comes from the air around us. This is why San Francisco sourdough is so famous/popular. It has a unique taste that people have found to be just flat out good. I've wondered what sourdough may taste like in the pacific northwest, so I took action and harvested my own wild yeast.

Believe it or not, it's ridiculously simple. It was un-nerving at times because I thought it had died on more than one occasion since the starter wasn't feeding and doubling as vigorously as I expected it too. But Ethel(my starter) has survived and is nothing short of strong.

I've made two loaves to date with her and the taste has noticeably matured between the two loaves. The bread made from Ethel will surely just continue to mature in taste over time. This is pretty exciting.

Portland sourdough....this is gonna be big.

0 comments:

Post a Comment